Thursday, November 20, 2014

A visit to Karen Smidth's and Rae Dunn's beautiful studios in Berkeley.

A few days ago I decided to give myself a creative day off and spend some time getting inspired.
 I headed to Berkeley which is a part of the Bay Area I absolutely love for it's charming houses full of colour and incredible light which filters through the neighborhoods. I started off at Karen Smidth's studio - an artist I greatly admire for her stunning landscapes...


and then I buzzed over to Slate Gallery in Oakland where my dear friend Blair Bradshaw was exhibiting with some other extremely talented artists (you can check them out on line at the gallery website):



After walking along Fourth street in Berkeley which is my favorite holiday stroll, I ended up sharing a cup of tea at Rae Dunn's magical studio. She is an extremely talented and widely represented ceramicist whos work I greatly admire. We had stories to swap and a little time on our side...I toured around her space and took in all the little details and collections that mean so much to us artists.  She has a fun ritual to photograph her guests with her sweet dog Wilma (see above - clearly I had a wonderful time with her!) --- check out her incredible website/ blog and instagram page...

A perfect and wonderfully inspired day for me.