Tuesday, January 20, 2015

A studio visit with Julie B Montgomery...

Julie's palette...just yummy in itself. I wanted to sneak off with it and frame it.

She has an amazing ability to be highly organized in her space and just the brushes hanging like this was a piece of art.

(Works in progress...)

A completed landscape.

Inspirational wall...



(a work in progress)

(a beautiful photo hanging on her wall which captured so many elements about her warmth both in personality and in her work)

***

When I started my road trip I realized I was driving through a sweet coastal town called Carpinteria where Julie B Montgomery has a studio and paints her amazing landscapes. The last time we had crossed paths in the art world was almost a decade ago, but I decided I was just going to put it "out there" and pick up the phone to see if she would be on the other line. Sure enough she was and it was as if no timed passed (except a few children and life inbetween :-)! 
I was able to have the chance to spend a long morning with her enjoying her studio, her colours, brushes, inspiration wall, her approach to her painting process, and just simply walking the beach together discussing life and how we are all so amazingly interconnected in this world. It is simply wild how so many years can pass, yet two people can pick up right where they left off and continue their dialogue. I was extremely grateful for our time together.

Her work is simply stunning and to see it on her website is a must: