Tuesday, February 24, 2015

An incredible studio visit with Susan Hoff.

 Today I had the most incredible studio visit with the talented and beautiful Susan Hoff. A few months ago I saw her work (must have been Pinterest) and I found myself pinning her bags constantly. I found her website and saw that she was not only local but also showing in a couple of my friends stores both on the West and East Coasts. So, I decided to send her a note asking if I could come to her studio and become inspired. And that's just what we did this morning. I hope by these photos below you can get a sense of her space and materials and maybe one day end up with one of her unique -one of a kind- works of art as I did today. I will treasure the bag and our new friendship always. Intuition tells me we are going to be lifelong friends with very similar sensibilities.
www.susanhoff.com
("...bags, accessories and custom design inspired by Susan's time spent at sea and her upbringing on a midwesterm horse farm...handcrafted from reclaimed sails & horse reins and dedicated to responsibility...")













 Susan spent time with me teaching me how to stitch and put together a little sketchbook...see below.

the sails from which the bags are stitched...


 Here is the life raft from which she made my bag below...cut from the blue part- the underside of the raft.
Of course I spotted the map of Cape Cod and New England...

My new beautiful art bag...notice the blue life raft material. This bag will hold all sketchbooks, watercolors, paints, brushes and I'm sure some driftwood along the way.


reclaimed horse reins as handles...simple and beautiful. Rustic patina-ed islet.


Thank you Susan for such a memorable day.